Saturday, October 5, 2013

PLAY ON WORDS

Colin has a real collection of words that only he uses  -  we find them very interesting sometimes fascinating:

  1. He often get migraine headaches  -  He calls them mind grains!!!
  2. He loves to give our dog Max a massage on his paws  -  Colin calls them palms!!!
  3. Its more better
  4. He says  -  My remembory helps me to remember all the birthdays, anniversaries and special dates in our family.
  5. He says novie instead of movie.  Maybe it is a new vie??
  6. He calls potatoes  -  play doughs instead.  And if we correct him as we often do, because we are his "teachers", he will say poo taay toooe, stretching the word right out.  He can say it correctly.
  7. He says veedeevee for DVD  -  and when I correct him, he says that's what I said, Mom!!!

In his early life as a child, he did have countless hours of speech therapy and bless those therapists as he was one tough cookie to deal with.  Lots of melt downs and those therapists were special and amazing.  He benefited from those classes humongously (did I just invent a word??)  BUT Colin has a mind of his own.  He certainly understands the words, he just can't make them come out of his mouth correctly.  He takes great offense to being corrected and I certainly can understand that.

We are always trying to make him as self-sufficient as possible.  Language skills can be a barrier to getting the help he needs sometimes.  In my quest to let him GO  -  I must remind myself that Colin has a Higher Power and I am not it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment